Customers choose doors for many reasons, maybe they are creating a new build or have purchased a property with doors which have seen better days or are not of a suitable style for the property or the customer. Maybe the property requires fire doors or need a new Front Door to improve curb appeal. What ever the reason there are some considerations to take into account when choosing the correct doors whether for External or Internal applications.
An important starting point is to asses the size of the doors as this has some bearing on the designs available in a particular size range, this filter is useful when faced with a lot of options and will save you time when using the drop down list relating to each door style.
However, do not be discouraged if an existing door opening is a non-standard size, if you wish to retain these sizes then bespoke sized doors are an available and common place manufacturing option these days. Please refer to our website under Bespoke or Custom doors for further information.
So, where to start with door sizing:-
- Does the existing door fit well into the frame, if not, the door size is not an accurate guide.
- Does the door frame need replacing? if so then consider the overall door opening size and purchase both new frame and door from the same supplier.
- The thickness of internal and external frames is variable and needs to be taken into account.
- If the existing door size does not relate to standard sizes (see our door sizing chart) it may have been custom made or trimmed to fit, if you suspect this then check with your supplier about how much a particular style can be trimmed as over trimming can compromise the structure of a modern door.
- Take measurements in both Imperial (feet and inches) and Metric (centimetre and millimeter) as this will help you when you look at our drop down door sizes if you are unsure then refer to the size conversion chart also.
Traditionally doors were made in Imperial sizes and this is still generally the rule today, however, many homes built over the last 40 years used Metric door sizing. See the guidance below.
Standard Imperial (inches) combinations are:-
24x78, 27x78, 28x78, 30x78, 33x78, 32x80, the door thickness is usually 13/8th inches (35mm)
Some Clear pine doors with 2 or 3 panels are available in:- 15, 18, 21 x 78 inches
Standard Metric (millimeters) combinations are:-
626x2040 726x2040 826x2040 & may be 35mm or 40mm thick.