Don't forget to maintain your front door. This is a quick guide with some pointers for maintaining your exterior doors.
For some people a weathered front door gives a home character and history however it can be quite upsetting to see a poorly maintained, shabby front door. In fact this can often be a major repellent to people viewing houses for sale and it gives the impression of “much work required”. At Doorsan we don’t want any of our beautiful external doors to fall into disrepair so please read below for some simple maintenance tips to keep your front door looking as majestic as the day you bought it.
If timber is left untreated it is likely to swell or rot so before fitting the door it must be finished according to our finishing instructions. Please click here to view our detailed finishing instructions. I cannot empathise enough the importance of treating your door correctly and sufficiently before fitting. It is vital to use a good quality branded product when sealing doors to avoid moisture getting in or out. Be sure to treat every part of the door, particularly if you have undertaken any shaving or adjustments.
2. Inspect your door regularly
Check inside and out and if your door shows signs of distress, treat it to a new coat of paint as soon as possible. Doors should be fully removed for painting and you should include painting of the base, cut outs for hinges and beneath the letterbox area to avoid any moisture ingress.
3. Quick clean
Regularly wipe the surface of your external door with a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt, particularly any dirt lodged in grooves.
- Finish your door BEFORE it is fitted, including Top & Bottom edges
- Do NOT use a water based finish
- Do NOT use a penetrating finish such as Danish/Tung-oil
- Use a flexible finish that will allow the timber to expand & contract
- Any plastering should be dry prior to treating doors/frames otherwise this can severely damage the timber
Regular maintenance will more than repay the effort involved and will keep your door in good condition and looking new for many years. Generally if the finish starts to look dull or cloudy in appearance, give your external door a light sanding and apply an additional refresher top coat (this is likely to be every 2/3 years).
- If you have any queries or concerns regarding maintenance of exterior doors please call our sales team on 0845 467 1910 or 0113 897 0984 or email email@example.com before carrying out any work.